Friday, October 9, 2009

How-To: Apple Crisp Recipe

Fall is in the air and there is nothing better than a yummy apple crisp on a cold day (90 degrees can be considered cold here in AZ, right?). My friend Gina of Legally Brunette passed along this fabulous and super easy Apple Crisp recipe that I just had to share with you. I don't know about you but I like visuals when following a recipe so I decided to document my steps as I went. Enjoy!

The Equipment:
Large Mixing Bowl
Baking or Pie Dish
Paring Knife or Apple Corer
Measuring Cups
Pastry Blender
Cutting Board
Vegetable Peeler
Baking Sheet

The Ingredients:
6 Large or 8 Medium Apples
1 Cup Flour
1 Cup Sugar
1/2 Tsp Salt
1 Tsp Ground Cinnamon
1/4 Tsp Ground Nutmeg
10 Tbsp Butter


Step 1: Preheat your oven to 375 degrees.

Step 2: While your oven is preheating, start making your crumble topping. Combine 1 cup of flour, 1 cup of sugar, 1/2 tsp of salt, 1 tsp of ground cinnamon and 1/4 tsp of ground nutmeg in a large mixing bowl.


Step 3: Cut up 10 tbsp of butter and add to the mixing bowl. In order to cut out the trans fat, I used Smart Balance instead of regular butter and it still tasted yummy. I also didn't have any nutmeg so I added extra cinnamon. Don't be afraid to substitute ingredients or change a recipe.


Step 4: Using a pastry blender, blend your ingredients together until you get a crumbly consistency.


Step 5:
Wash and peel your apples. You can use a paring knife to do this but a vegetable peeler is so much easier.


Step 6:
Core and slice your apples. I used my nifty apple corer and this saved me so much time. I'm all about saving time in the kitchen!


Step 7:
Arrange your apples inside of your baking dish and sprinkle on your crumble topping.


Step 8: Place your dish on top of a baking dish with sides and place in the oven. Bake at 375 degrees for 50-55 minutes. Stick a fork into one of the apples to make sure that it is tender.


Step 9:
Serve with a dollop of whipped cream or ice cream and enjoy!


Add your photos to the Designs by Vanessa Tutorial Flickr Group if you decide to make this recipe!

Photobucket

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yumm! Fantastic recipe, thank you so much for sharing!


Janell

Kathleen J. said...

The recipe sounds wonderful! You know you are getting used to AZ when 90 feels cool and 80 with a breeze can cause goosebumps. :)

Swetha said...

Yummy!! it looks delicious! i will try this one day!

BeadedTail said...

Looks yummy! I love anything with apples and this certainly looks delicious!

Eli's Lids said...

This looks FANTASTIC!!

NJenn said...

I had always been looking for an apple crisp recipe that needs no cooking and easy to prepare. Thanks for sharing it with us. My kids loved it when I prepared it last weekend and they begged me to do it again so they can bring some to school.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin